What is TRIO Student Support Services?
TRIO (S3) is a federal program that helps students stay in college. The program enhances students’ academic skills, increasing their retention and graduation rates.
Who is eligible to participate in TRiO Student Support Services Program?
Students who apply to become a part of the TRIO (S3) Program MUST be:
- A U.S. citizen, national, or permanent resident, as defined below:
- US Citizen
- US National (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain’s Island)
- Permanent Resident (U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C)
- Eligible Non-Citizen (Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service)
- Students who are enrolled full-time or accepted for enrollment at Heritage University as an undergraduate student.
Additionally, each applicant must fall under one or more of three primary eligibility criteria:
Option 1: First-Generation Eligible
To qualify as First Generation Eligible for the S3 Program means:
Neither your natural or adoptive parents received a baccalaureate four year degree
Option 2: Disability Eligible
If a student has a documented (physical or learning) disability, the student is Disability Eligible for the Student Support Services program. Students who have a disability, as defined by Section 504/ADA, may be eligible for participation in S3 Program as a result of the educational needs stemming from that disability.
Option 3: Low Income Eligible
The official Low Income guidelines are updated at the end of January annually. You can view the most recent chart at the Department of Education here.
Find the size of your family in the chart, using your most recent tax return, to determine if your family’s taxable income fell at or below the figure in the next column.
What are the hours of operation?
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
What services are provided for students?
The program offers a variety of services and activities:
- Academic Advising
- Study Skills Developmental Workshops
- Career and Cultural Diversity Workshops
- Technology Workshops
- Financial Aid and Financial Literacy Workshops
- Computer use
- Cultural Enrichment Activities
- Graduate School Visits
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Violet Lumley Rau Center