Guidelines and Procedures to Obtain Ability Support Services at Heritage University:
Students who are seeking ability support services at Heritage University are required to formally apply for academic accommodations and submit documentation that serves as proof of the current disabilities. The following guidelines and procedures are provided in the interest of assisting students with their academic success but also to meet the federal laws that our institution is required to follow.
ADA Assessment and Description of the Functional Impact Caused by Current Disabilities:
The student must schedule an appointment with the ADA Specialist at Heritage University for an assessment and to formally request academic accommodations. It is critical that the Office of Ability Services gathers relevant information about the student’s disability/s, how it affects the student at the academic level, history of accommodations in previous institutions, verification of medical documentation and/or school records, take into consideration physician’s recommendations if any, and to determine the type of accommodations that will best suit the student’s needs for academic success.
Students seeking accommodations must have a documented disability. You are required to present medical records such as diagnostic assessment, a medical letter with a formal ICD-10 or DSM-5 diagnosis. Records of medical treatments from a qualified medical professional, a psychologist or licensed mental counselor stating a mental illness, etc. How recent the documentation needs to be is dependent on longevity and circumstances of your disability. Generally, documentation within the last three years is considered current, but this varies based upon disabilities that are non-permanent and likely to improve over time. If you have a disability that is permanent and non-varying, then old documentation can be considered to apply for disability services on campus. On the other hand, disabilities that are considered “temporary,” require frequent updates to provide an accurate interpretation of the functional impact and possible changes in academic accommodations over time.
Examples of Disabilities:
- Learning Disabilities: Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia, Auditory Processing Disorder (APD), Language Processing Disorder (LPD), Memory and Executive Functioning.
- Developmental Disabilities: Autism Spectrum Disorders, Down Syndrome, Fragile X Syndrome (FXS), Cerebral Palsy, and Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders among others.
- Physical Disabilities: Multiple Sclerosis, Cerebral Palsy, Spinal Injuries, Muscular Dystrophy, Spina Bifida, Amputation of Limbs, Severe Arthritis, Visual and Hearing impairments.
- Mental Health Disabilities: Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Mood Disorders, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Psychotic Disorders and Generalized Anxiety among other mental diagnoses.
- Other Acute or Chronic Health Conditions: Cancer, AIDS, Diabetes, Alzheimer’s, Asthma, Chronic Kidney Disease, and Chronic Pulmonary Disease.
Temporary accommodations are designed to address the immediate need of a student seeking any of the following:
- Maternity Leave of Absence: pending delivery or scheduled C-Section (a doctor’s note is required).
- Medical Leave: to attend medical matters related to an acute or chronic health issue (medical documentation is required).
- Compassionate Leave: to attend a close relative’s funeral service.
- Transient Physical Injuries: bodily harm resulting in motor functioning limitations (medical documentation is required).
The cost for specialized medical assessments and for providing medical documentation to the Office of Ability Services shall be borne by the student. Heritage University is not responsible for paying the cost of an Individualized Education Plan (IEP), a Psychiatric or Psychological Evaluation, or any other medical diagnostic that may result in the burden of our university.
For More Information Regarding Disability Services, Please Contact:
Mental & Social Health Counselor / ADA Specialist
Office: 509-865-8544. Fax #: 509-865-8693
Office Location: Petrie Hall, Office 125. Heritage University, Main Campus.