Constitution of "Insert Official Name"
PDF Form - Word Document
Article 1 - Name
The club's official name will be "Insert Official Name", and may be referred to as "Insert Acronym Where Desired". No other name will be used in the advertisement or representation of the club.
Article 2 - Club Mandate
Your club mandate must illustrate the primary function and objective(s) of the club. Do not define your club too narrowly or too broadly. It is important to note that your club will be held to its mandate and purpose. The activities of your club must reflect your mandate.
The club's mandate will be as follows:
- A detailed list of objectives and goals of the club.
- Strategies for attaining the objectives and goals of the club.
- A vision statement articulating how the club will benefit the student experience of undergraduates at Heritage University.
Article 3 - Membership
- The club's membership is open to all undergraduate students at the University. The club's membership cannot be exclusive and must be open to all undergraduate students;
- Any non-undergraduate student members, including staff members, do not have voting rights;
- Executive members, voting and non-voting, shall be undergraduate students and;
- Each club member shall abide by the conflict of interest provisions written in the clubs.
Policy: Club Operating Policies
Article 4 - Executive & Executive Responsibilities
There shall be an Executive Committee.
- Collectively, the Executive Committee will ensure that the club's activities do not violate Heritage University's policies and procedures, and municipal, provincial and federal laws.
- There will not be less than five (5) Executive members at any one time that fulfil the following functions:
A club is required to have at least five (5) executive members with the delineated responsibilities in the Club Constitution Template. Additional responsibilities of any executive member are permitted. A club is permitted to select titles for the positions that are suitable and appropriate for the club, but the responsibilities of each position must be assigned to designated executive members. A club is permitted to provide for additional executive members who are tasked with specific duties different than those outlined in the club Constitution Template. Each new executive position must include responsibilities.
- The President will:
- Oversee the other members of the executive committee in fulfilling their responsibilities;
- Chair all meetings;
- Have the Club Advisor have signing authority for the club and;
- If absent, assign an executive with all the responsibilities of the President.
- The Insert Title will:
These are traditionally considered "VP Communications" responsibilities
- Record votes and minutes of all meetings;
- Give or cause to be given notice al all meetings and;
- Act as Chief Returning (This designation may be moved to any other executive position)
- The Insert Title will:
These are traditionally considered "Events Coordinator" responsibilities
- Organize club programs, activities and events in accordance with its Constitutions' mandate;
- Have the Heritage University Student Life Coordinator signing authority for the club;
- Be responsible for submitting event proposals to the Student Life Coordinator;
- Be responsible for adhering to all terms and conditions set forth by the Student Organizations Advisors and;
- Create and submit Room Request Forms on behalf of the club.
- The Insert Title will:
These are traditionally considered "VP Finance" responsibilities
- Oversee all financial dealings of the club;
- Keep complete records of all financial dealings of the club and;
- Have Heritage University Student Life Coordinator signing authority for the club
- Executives are subject to the club's membership fee.
Article 5 - Meetings
- The cub/s quorum for meetings shall be twenty (20) percent of the total membership.
A club's quorum for meetings cannot be less than twenty (20) percent.
- At least nine (9) general meetings shall be held during each school year, including the Annual General Meeting.
It is important that a definitive number of meetings is not set out, otherwise, the club will be required to hold that number of meetings annually. With a minimum number, more meetings may be held as time and scheduling permits.
Article 6 - Elections
- Elections shall be carried out in June. The new officers elected will begin that following fall semester.
- A successful candidate in a club Executive election will be declared by a simple majority vote.
Article 7 - Amendments
- Any amendments to this constitution must be made during elections. All members must vote on the changes.
- Once approved, the new constitution must be submitted to the Student Life Coordinator for approval.
Article 8 - Member Removal
- Club members may only be removed from the membership.
Article 9 - Conflict Resolution
- A club member may only seek assistance or guidance from the Heritage University Student Life Coordinator after the member has been unable to resolve an issue with the Executive members and the Club Advisor.