Residency Teacher Certification
Elementary Education (levels K-8) and English Language Learner or Special Education Endorsements
Heritage University offers a Route 1 program for paraprofessionals who currently hold a transferable AA degree. At the end of the program, candidates earn a BA in Education degree and are recommended for certification to OSPI.
The Route 1 program allows current paraprofessionals to study with other colleagues while maintaining their current school-based positions. Candidates study in a cohort model and generally complete their program in 6 semesters.
Since 2008, Heritage has prepared and placed paraprofessionals in ESD 105 school districts such as Sunnyside, Union Gap, West Valley, Grandview, Yakima, East Valley, Mt. Adams, Toppenish, Granger, Mattawa, and Mabton.
Candidates enrolled in Route 1 will complete both their baccalaureate degree and requirements for residency certification in two years, including a mentored internship to be completed in the final year. In addition, Alternative Route 1 programs uphold entry requirements for candidates that include:
- District or building validation of qualifications, including one year of successful student interaction and leadership as a classified instructional employee
- Successful passage of the WEST-B statewide basic skills exam prior to admission
- Successful passage of the WEST-E exams prior to internship during the final year
- Meeting the age, good moral character, and personal fitness requirements adopted by rule for teachers
- Unconditional acceptance into the teacher preparation program
Candidates are encouraged to apply for financial aide. Depending on the Washington State budget allocations for education, some financial support may be available for candidates.