Application for Graduation
Formal application for graduation for all degrees and certificates must be filed in the Registrar's Office at least two semesters before the projected date.
- Students fulfill either catalog requirements in effect at the time of their official acceptance to Heritage University or requirements from a newer catalog. The complete requirements of only one catalog must be fulfilled unless exceptions are authorized by the Vice President Provost of Academic Affairs.
- Students seeking teacher certification are responsible for keeping up-to-date on changes in these regulations.
- All financial obligations to the university must be cleared before graduation.
Graduation/Commencement Exercise and Diplomas
Graduation is a step-by-step process leading up to receiving your official degree.
Commencement refers to the ceremony, officiated by the President of the University, which is an opportunity for the students to share the excitement and importance of their academic accomplishments with peers, family, and friends.
Commencement is a celebratory event, not a declaration of completion of degree requirements. Anyone can participate in the ceremony if they have not participated in a previous ceremony and if they are within two courses and/or 6 credits of degree completion (if enrolled summer term and applied for graduation).
- Degrees are awarded at Heritage at the end of the fall, spring, and summer semesters. Students must apply for graduation for the term they intend to graduate, to be considered a candidate for the degree. The Graduation ceremony is held at the end of spring semester (May). All students who completed degree requirements are encouraged to participate.
- Students completing their final degree/certificate requirements during the summer semester may participate in the spring ceremony as a "walker". The "walker" student has applied for graduation for the summer term, and is confirmed by the Registrar's Office that they will complete their degree/certification requirements.
- The degree and diploma/certificates are awarded only after all requirements are fulfilled. Walking early does not imply that degree/certificate requirements have been met or that the student is actually graduating during that ceremony.
- Names of summer graduation candidates will be published in the spring (May) commencement program.
- Only undergraduate students who have completed all degree requirements will be recognized for Latin Honors.
NOTE: The Latin Honors designation listed in the Commencement Program may not reflect honors status since the program is printed prior to the posting of final grades.