Information about the HESI Admission Assessment (HESI-A2) Exam
Who should take the HESI-A2?
All applicants to Heritage University BSN program are required to take the HESI A2 Exam. Test results must be less than two years old at the time of application to the Nursing program.
Why take the HESI-A2?
The HESI A2 assesses academic readiness and is a predictor for success in the first year of the nursing program. Students who do not achieve standard scores are more likely to have difficulty succeeding in the rigorous nursing curriculum. Applicants who do not achieve desired scoring on their first attempt should remediate prior to taking the test again. An individualized remediation plan will be available from Evolve within a window of 24 hours to two (2) weeks after completing the test. Students accepted into the nursing program will be expected to use this remediation plan to enhance their success in the program.
What is the HESI-A2 Test:
The HESI A2 Exam is made up of seven academic exams. Also the HESI-A2 tests critical thinking, personality, and identifies the applicant’s learning style. The total time allotted to complete the exam is 5.5 hours.
- Reading Comprehension: Provides senarios in order to measure reading comprehension, including identifying the main idea, finding meaning of words in context, and making logical inferences.
- Vocabulary & General Knowledge: Tests knowledge of everyday vocabulary terms, as well as vocabulary used in healthcare fields.
- Grammar: Assesses knowledge of basic grammar, including parts of speech, important terms and their uses in grammar, commonly occurring grammatical errors and more.
- Basic Math Skills: Focuses on math skills needed for nursing, including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratio and proportion, household measures and general math facts.
- Biology: Covers biology basics, water, biological molecules, metabolism, cells, cellular respiration, photosynthesis and more.
- Chemistry: Test items cover matter, chemical equations and reactions, the periodic table, atomic structure, nuclear chemistry, chemical bonding and more.
- Anatomy & Physiology: Tests knowledge of general terminology, anatomical structures and systems.
- Personality Profile (not scored): Uses concepts related to introversion and extroversion to classify the student’s personality style.
- Learning Style (not scored): Assesses the preferred learning style of the prospective applicant and offers test-taking and study tips suited for that learning style.
- Critical Thinking: Assesses these critical thinking skills: Analysis of data, argument analysis, prioritization of care, problem solving, resolution of biases and ethical dilemmas.
What is the score required for admission to the Heritage BSN program?
To be considered for selection, the applicant must achieve a minimum of 75% in each of the academic categories.
How should I prepare to take the HESI A2?
It is advisable to study for the HESI A-2. A study booklet, Admission Assesment Exam Review 4th Edition, (Elsevier Health Services), can be ordered from Elsevier. This study booklet offers complete content review, HESI test-taking hints, and nearly 400 practice questions on the topics found on the HESI A2, including math, reading comprehension, vocabulary, grammar, biology, chemistry, and anatomy & physiology. Plus, it helps you identify areas of weakness so you can focus your study time. This study guide includes Chapter 8: Physics – but you will not be tested on your knowledge of physics.
Is there a fee for HESI A2? How do I arrange to take the test?
There is a fee of $48.00 for the Nursing Admission Assessment (HESI A2) Exam. You must have an Evolve account to purchase the test. If you already have an Evolve Account, login and go to step 6 below.
Directions to establish an Evolve account and purchase the HESI A2 Exam are:
- To schedule the text, contact Melissa Sanchez (Sanchez_m1@heritage.edu) in the Department of Nursing at Heritage University, who will provide your link to register for the test.
- Go to the Evolve Learning System website at evolve.elsevier.com; select HESI Exams.
- Select Register for HESI; then select the organ link Register for this now.
- From the HESI Registration page, select Redeem/Checkout, which will link you to the Create an account page.
- Complete the information to Create an account using the following information: City - Toppenish, Program Type: BSN; Year of Graduation: 2018. Then, Submit.
- Read and select the Registered User Agreement; select Submit.
- From this page, select the blue link My Evolve.
- Select Evolve Catalog. From this page, select the purple link HESI Exams; select "Go straight to HESI."
- From this page, select Exam Payments tab at the top. Input Payment ID number provided to you when you contact Melissa Sanchez. Then select Search from the "RN Admission Assessment w/critical thinking (A2) 1st - time tester." Disregard the payment due date. Complete payment information and Proceed to Checkout.
NOTE: Before purchasing the test, please note that student must schedule and take the HESI A2 Exam with the Payment ID. No refunds will be given by Evolve or Heritage University.
What do I need to bring to the Testing Center on the Exam day?
- Receipt for purchase of the test
- Picture ID
- Evolve.elsevier.com login and password.
What not to bring:
No cell phones or other electronic devices are allowed in the testing center. Personal calculators are not permitted; a basic calculator is available within the test. Other testing supplies will be issued, including paper, a pencil and calculator. Do not bring any personal items to testing.
When will I know my score on the test?
You will receive your score at the completion of your test in the Testing Center. Your score report and remediation plan will also be sent to you by email from Evolve within a window of 24 hours to two (2) weeks after completing the test. Scores will be sent to the email address you provided when registering for the test.
What if I don’t pass the HESI the first time?
Students have the option to retake the test one time within the same application cycle. Students will retest with a different version of the exam — no student will have the same exam items twice.
What happens after testing?
The Heritage University Nursing Admissions Committee will have access to official HESI A2 Admission Assessment Exam test scores. Your test score will be one of the factors considered in the selection process for admission to the Nursing program.
What if I have more questions about the HESI A2 Exam?
Contact the Heritage University Nursing Administrative Coordinator, Melissa Sanchez firstname.lastname@example.org