The mission of the program is to increase access to healthcare, particularly in small, rural, and underserved areas, by educating future Physician Assistants who will provide high quality medical care in a compassionate and competent manner.
In addition to the goals of Heritage University, the Physician Assistant Educational Program goals are to:
- Actively recruit qualified candidates from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Foster intercollegiate relationships to ensure applicants receive the prerequisite education and experience to become successful students.
- Provide a broad based interprofessional education with an emphasis on primary care, allowing graduates to thrive in a dynamic health care environment.
- Equip physician assistant students with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes that are essential elements of professional practice and instill a desire for life-long learning.
- Provide opportunities for, and encourage involvement in, interprofessional education, community professional activities, and organization that advance the PA profession.
There continues to be strong demand for trained
health care providers in the Pacific Northwest. In partnership with their
supervising physicians, PAs can provide care for a diverse population of
patients in a wide array of settings and specialties.
Heritage University is
strategically positioned in a region where no such degree programs are
available elsewhere. Located in Toppenish, Washington, within the Yakama
Nation, the Heritage mission is to provide educational opportunities to
underserved and underrepresented populations. Heritage graduates often go on to
serve the needs of those same populations living and working in the communities
in which they were raised.