|| Marketing Office
|| Marketing Office
|| President's Cabinet
|Date of Approval:
|| December 14, 2011
|Date of Last Revision:
|| November 8, 2013
|Next Review Date:
See below: Policy and Procedures
Reason for Policy/Purpose
The use of electronic social media is increasing for university departments, employees and students. These vehicles have the potential to create a significant impact on the reputations of individuals and organizations. This social medial policy is designed to portray, protect and promote the institution positively and effectively. It also provides guidelines on how students and employees can protect their personal and professional reputations while using online media. This policy applies to social media accounts developed to represent Heritage University and its programs, departments, groups, entities, etc. It does not apply to individual's personal social media accounts.
Policies regarding university communications are designed to keep Heritage University internal and external audiences informed while promoting and safeguarding the image and identity of the university.
Who Needs to Know this Policy
This policy applies to faculty, staff, programs, colleges and academic departments, and student organizations.
Website Address for this Policy
For more information about this policy, please contact the Communications Officer at 509-865-8588 or email@example.com. The Marketing Office is part of the Advancement Office and is located in the Alder Building on the Toppenish campus.
Social media are vehicles or practices of engaging in the electronic sharing of information, videos, images and/or opinions in an online forum. By its design, social media puts individuals in the position of creating content for public consumption.
- Officially recognized Heritage University social media accounts will be reviewed and approved through an application process.
- Each social media account will have a responsible administrator assigned for managing and monitoring the account.
- Officially recognized accounts need to contain the following disclaimer statement: This account is officially recognized by Heritage University. However, the views and opinions expressed by those posting to these pages do not necessarily represent the ideas, attitudes, or positions of the university. Heritage reserves the right to allow or suspend comments or posts.
- The assigned administrator will remove inappropriate, libelous, offensive and/or illegal content at their own discretion or at the direction of the communications officer.
- Adhere to recognized best practices for social media accounts.
- Heritage University employees are expected to adhere to the same level of standard for conduct online as in the workplace. The laws and policies that govern conflicts of interest, and interactions with students, donors, the media and other Heritage constituents apply to online interactions just as they do to in person interactions. Employees are fully responsible for what they post online.
- Adhere to all existing policies regarding maintaining confidential information for the university and its constituents, including students, employees, and donors.
- If you maintain your own personal social media site, be clear that the opinions you express are your own and do not represent the views of the university. You may want to consider adding a disclaimer of the sort to your social media site.
- Make sure that you have the rights to lawfully post content to any social media site and that all information you are posting is true and accurate.
- Heritage University does not police social media sites to insure adherence to this policy, however it reserves the right to review any official site and remove content that is deemed unlawful, threatening, obscene, injurious or illegal.
- Complete the application for social media accounts and return it, along with any desired profile image to the Communications Officer for approval.
- Contact the Communications Officer when the approved site is completed to be included in the listing of official social media sites.
- In the event that the social media site administrator leaves or is unable to continue to manage the site, the department director is responsible for assigning a new administrator and updating the contact information with the Communications Officer.
Related Policies and Resources
Heritage University Style Guide and logo use policy
HR Conflict of Interest Policy
IT Internet Usage Policy
Social Media Policy